The New Mutants was originally supposed to release in early 2018 but was delayed, and now director Josh Boone is setting the record straight on reshoot rumors!
There was a lot of anticipation for The New Mutants when it was in production in 2017, but since then, there has been confusion about the film. It was delayed several times due to Disney purchasing 21st Century Fox — which includes the rights to the X-Men films. Because of the delays, many wondered if reshoots had occurred.
Now that The New Mutants is set to open in theaters on April 3, director Josh Boone has made it clear that they never happened.
“Everybody said we did reshoots! We’ve never done reshoots,” Boone told Entertainment Weekly. “And I’ll tell you this: if there hadn’t been a merger, I’m sure we would’ve done reshoots the same way every movie does pickups. We didn’t even do that because by the time the merger was done and everything was settled, everybody’s older.”
The cast of The New Mutants includes Maisie Williams as Rahne Sinclair/Wolfsbane, Anya Taylor-Joy as Illyana Rasputin/Magik, Charlie Heaton as Sam Guthrie/Cannonball, Henry Zaga as Roberto “Bobby” da Costa/Sunspot, and Blu Hunt as Danielle Moonstar/Mirage. The film depicts five teen mutants being held against their will in a facility and must fight to escape.
Williams also commented on the film, saying, “The movie is exactly the movie we set out to make. I was nervous when they were talking about reshooting or re-editing that it was gonna be very different, but honestly, it’s exactly what we set out to do.”
Boone also explained that they heard no developments about the film during the merger. It was all “radio silence” from the studio, according to the director. Luckily, it all came together in the end, and fans will finally get to see the superhero film, which has been described as dark and thrilling by the cast.